Social Grants

Care Dependency Grant

The care dependency grant is money that the Government gives to a caregiver of a child who is in need of permanent care because of a disability. In order to apply for the care dependency grant (for the child who needs permanent care), the caregiver must have:

  • The caregiver’s identity documents
  • The dependant child’s birth certificate or identity document (unabridged SA birth certificate)
  • A letter from the doctor: medical report. Remember this letter explains that the child is living with a permanent disability and need special care
  • The caregiver must apply for the care dependency grant at SASSA’s offices.
  • When the child is beyond 18 years of age, the caregiver can apply for a dependency grant (DG).

How do you know if you qualify?

You must:

  • Be a parent, primary caregiver or a foster parent appointed by the court
  • Be a South African citizen or permanent resident
  • Not earn more than R151 200.00 a year if you are single. Your combined income should not be above R302 400.00 a year if you are married.

Note: this income limit does not apply to foster parents

The child must:

  • Be younger than 18 years
  • Not be cared for permanently in a state institution

How much money will you receive?

The grant received will be R1 350.00 per month

The following may result in the suspension of your grant:

  • When the child’s circumstances changes
  • If you fail to co-operate when the child grant is reviewed
  • When you commit fraud or have misrepresented the child

The grant will lapse when the:

  • Child passes away
  • Child is admitted to a state institution
  • Beneficiary who is the caregiver does not claim the grant for the three consecutive months
  • Child is absent from the country
  • Child turns 19

If your application is not approved, SASSA will inform you in writing of why your application was unsuccessful. If you disagree with the decision, you can appeal to the Minister of Social Development at the national office of the Department of Social Development, explaining why you disagree with the decision. You must appeal within 90 days of being notified that your application was unsuccessful.